11th Winchester History



1921 to 1971






From the following sources:


A History of Scouting in Winchester by J.A. Rannie,

President of the Winchester Scout Association,

Group Committee Minute Books,

Group and District Records,

and Personal Experiences.


Digitised by Nick Elborough ASL 11th Winchester Scouts 2014

I have drawn a great deal of information in this book from Mr. Alan Bannie's book 'A History of Scouting in Winchester', and, indeed, where passages in that book are relevant, I have taken the liberty of copying them direct. Of course, one cannot write about a Scout Group without mentioning the district to which it belongs because of the close ties, and in this book will be found many allusions to this and other bodies directly or indirectly concerned with the Group during the last fifty years. The Group has always played its full part in the district, and, indeed, during the years that Rover Scouting flourished, the 11th was really the centre of Rover Activity in the district. The research into, and writing of this book, has taken many hours and I hope that you will find it interesting. It is possible that due to incomplete records certain events and people have been omitted and in this case I crave their forgiveness and render my apologies in advance. ROGER I. MACK October, 1971.

Scouting started in Winchester in 1908 and every boy that wanted to become a Scout joined one big Troop, the 'Withers Owen' Troop. Later, this Troop was divided into three sections known as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Winchester. Other Troops formed quite early on were the 4th, (College Quiristers).


However, during the 1914 -18 war, scouting in Winchester almost died, mainly due to the lack of leadership because most of the leaders joined the forces. By 1921, the "Withers Owen” Troop, the only 'Open' Troop remaining in the City, Was down to 20 boys, and the leaders wanted to take up other work, so Harold Croft, an old Scouter, led a reorganisation of local scouting in the autumn of 1921.


He called a meeting of all the boys and men of Winchester interested in Scouting and, to his surprise, over 150 people turned up. The result was that six new Troops were formed, as follows:

7th Winchester (Christ Church)

8th Winchester (Hyde)

9th Winchester (St. Cross)

10th Winchester (St. Thomas)

11th Winchester (St. Paul's)

12th Winchester (Chesil and Highcliffe)


It was thought best to divide the City into districts, each with its own troop, based generally on the Parish Halls. This policy of attaching the Troops loosely to the various churches whose Halls they originally used worked well. There has often been close cooperation with the churches, according to the temperament of the clergy and scouters involved, yet there has never been a 'closed' or 'sponsored' group except in the case of schools.


Neckerchiefs of six different plain colours were ordered by the district and the colour for each Troop was decided by a draw. The 11th's colour was lavender. A complete uniform in those days cost about 16s. 6d.

The first Scoutmaster off the 11th was Mr. W.J. Kee. Although local scouts divided into Troops, they came together on many occasions, such as competitions and camps even more than they do these days.


In May, 1922, the Winchester Chamber of Commerce staged a "Shopping Week“ and as part of the special attractions there was a Scout display and competition in the park. One of the items was the dismantling and assembling of a trek-cart. There was also Tug-O-War and various races. For this contest the Chamber of Commerce presented the handsome shield which is now the district's principal camping trophy.


Events like this, which involved the whole district, led to Orders appearing from time to time in the local press. These were signed by the 'Secretary' and not by the 'Adjutant', as in pre-l921 years. So, even at this early stage, scouting was much becoming much less military.


There were public displays of scouting on what is now the Pilgrim's School field at Wolvesey in July, 1922, 1923 and 1924 to which each Troop contributed an item.


In August, 1922 and 1925, there was a District Summer Camp at Hengistbury Head about five miles east of Bournemouth Pier. The Troops attended the 1922 Camp with about 150 scouts and twenty Scouters.


The Camp lasted a full fortnight, but not all its inhabitants were the same for both weeks. Harold Croft was now the A.D.C. and he ran the Camp on rather centralised lines, perhaps a wise policy since very few had any camping experience at all. The tents were arranged in a 'Hollow Square' with a wide open space in the middle. There was a big marquee which would hold most of the campers on a really wet day, and a central cookhouse in the charge of a professional cook, though the campers did their own breakfasts and suppers.


Having dinner 'laid on' meant that there was plenty of time for scout work as well as games, boating, and bathing. One Sunday, the campers marched all the way to Christchurch Priory behind the scout band.


Two highlights of the Camp were the visit of the Mayor, Stanley Clifton, who, for a long time, shared the duties of Treasurer to the Association with Mr. Toby, the Manager of the National Provincial Bank - and of Major Withers, who was 'Senior Scoutmaster' in Winchester in 1909. He spent some hours at the camp accompanied by a Saudanexe orderly.

The second camp at Hengistbury Head, in August, 1925, was run on rather different lines and each Troop had its own pitch and did its own cooking, though rations were drawn from a central store.


There was a certain amount of-inter-troop football and cricket in this period, but it never took very firm root. There were also march-outs on Easter Monday, each year, with a particularly good one in 1923 towards Farley Mount ending with tea served from a huge cauldron on the edge of Crab Wood.


The Troop was represented when 72 Winchester Scouts and 56 Cubs attended the Prince of Wales' Rally at the Alexandra Palace (N. London) in October, 1922.

There were, of course, no Senior Scouts as yet and by 1924 or 1925 many P.L.s and Seconds had reached the age of 17 and were blocking promotion badly. A solution was found by making them Rovers within the Troop and trying to find them a ‘den’ of their own somewhere, but it was not for another couple of years that proper Rover Crews were formed under the guidance of Scouters who understood what Was required.


The first St. George's Day Parade took place on Wednesday, 25rd April, 1924 (Not until it fell on a Sunday was the present plan resorted to; having it on the Sunday afternoon nearest the correct date.)


At Whitsun, 1925, a district camp was held in a field adjoining Wyke Mark. This was well attended and was the first of several in the next few years.


It was in 1925, that the 8th (Hyde) Troop had difficulty in getting scouters, so they amalgamated with the 11th Winchester (Hyde and Weeke) Troop.

It was also at, this time that the district made the first of many unsuccessful attempts to appoint a District Press Correspondent, in this case A.S.M. Tanner of the 11th.


In 1926, the Troop, or Group as it now was (having Cubs as well), moved its headquarters from. St. Paul's Church Room to a room at Stockbridge Road, near the railway arch.


One item very much on the credit side was the proper establishment of Rovers in the autumn of 1926. The pioneer was H.A. Mantell, who was S.M. of the 11th by this time. (He is believed to be the first Winchester Scouter to be called “Skipper".) It was at the 11th H.Q. that Winchester's first Rover Crow met. It was made up of senior members of the 10th, 11th, 12th and Littleton Groups and it called itself the "Tassell Patrol" after an I.H.Q. Commissioner for Rovers of that name. The Crew soon made itself exceedingly useful and the Rovers would go out and help Troops or Packs that were short of Scouters and on one occasion they ran Hursley for four months whilst the Scoutmaster, Capt. (later Sir George) Cooper was abroad.


Another time, they looked after The Worthies at Whitsun Camp. Lectures, debates, study circles, visits to interesting places and hikes represented one side of their activities, another was good turns such as giving entertainments at the Prison and making lamp shades for the blind. Later, they frequently acted as blood donors at the hospital. An additional title, acquired in 1927, was "Cheiron’s Rovers".


The Baker-Wilbraham Cup, first awarded in 1920, was won for the first time by the 11th in 1926, then in 1928 the 11th won the Chamber of Commerce Shield for the first time.


The Coming of Age Jamboree at Arrowe Park, Birkenhead, was held in 1929. The Troop was represented as were most of the Troops in the district.

The Winchester camp was sited between 'Germany' and 'India' both interesting neighbours and productive of pen-friendships during the next few years.


In the same year the 11th won thb Chamber of Commerce Shield again.


Apart from Whitsun weekend camps, there had been no District Camps for seven years, but in August, 1930, the idea found favour again and Harold Croft, as A.D.C., took no loss than 140 boys to Ringstead, near Charmouth, on the Dorset coast.


Mr. Charles Simpson, who became Scoutmaster of the 11th in 1930, decided that there was room for a Troop in connection with Peter Symonds School where he was a master. This Troop started in 1931, and known as the 1st Winchester, continued until 1954.


At about this time, Major Pinsent began to look for a nearer campsite than the one near Farley Mount. His eye fell on the far corner of Weeke Down, which seemed in many ways to have been made for the purpose, especially as it had been approachable by a decent road since the Isolation Hospital had been a built a year or two before. Pinsent fell in love with the site and had the generous idea of making it available at his own expense for the Winchester L.A. For a short experimental period it was rented, but later purchased on these lines, and including an endowment fund for maintenance, it cost the donor about a thousand pounds, which was a big sum in those days.

Needless to say, the L.A. gratefully accepted the offer and during the early summer of 1931 a great deal of preparatory work was going on clearing brushwood and gorse. In the middle of July came the opening weekend, with all Troops invited the ceremony itself was performed by Admiral Thesiger, the County Commissioner, on the Sunday afternoon. He delighted all and sundry by throwing dignity to the winds when the ceremony was over and engaging in lively exchanges of repartee with the boys bushes were fewer and the grassy glades correspondingly wider, the campsite has not changed a great deal since that day. All of the Troops in the district were allocated their own sites. Starting with 1952 the 'Weeke Down Campsite' (as it was then called) was well used Whitsun camps now held here on a district basis.

Returning briefly to 1951, the 11th won the Chamber of Commerce Shield for the third time. Also, about this time, the district Rovers were divided into Crews attached to the larger groups. Mr. R. East ran the 11th Rovers as well as being A.D.C.

Sunday, 25rd April, 1953 was rather a special occasion, for the Chief Guido (Lady Baden-Powell) came to the St. George’s Day-celebrations. At one time it was hoped that the Chief Scout too would come, but he was advancing in years and withdrew on medical advice. The parade after the Cathedral Service was held at, Oram's Arbour, instead Castle Square which was then the usual rendezvous, and there the Chief Guide made an excellent speech, afterwards handing out some awards to Scouts and the King's Scout badge to P.L. Gerald East, son of the for Rovers,who had himself just received the Medal of Merit.


It was about this time that the 11th moved its headquarters again: on this occasion to No.18, Swan Lane (the present premises of Mr. Giles). On 25th June, 1934, the Group held a flannel dance (organised by Mr. Barter, a Group Committee member) which made a Profit of £6. 9d; for Group funds. The 11th Group's accounts for the year ended 50th September, 1934 showed £8. 55. 11ld. in the current account and a balance of £10. 85. 11d. in the New Headquarters Account.

At the Group's Annual General Meeting held on Monday, 15th October, 1954‘, the Group Scoutmasters Report contained. the following information:


Number of Scouts - 19 - one less than the previous year Number of Rovers - 8 - two less than the previous year

Number of Cubs - 18 - four less than the previous year


The group had taken part in all Competitions in the district, and though no trophies had been won, the Group had secured second position in several of the competitions. The Rover Crew had been inactive lately because it often happened that Scouts on reaching Rover age either left the district or were fully occupied with other business. Mr. East then announced that he had received the resignation of Mr. Early from the position of Scoutmaster.

In November, Mr. Mitchener offered to re assume the duties of Scoutmaster and to organise a concert in aid of the Group‘s funds in conjunction with Mr. Powell.

On the 19th November a profit of 8s. 2d. was made at a dance.

1955 was the year of King George V's Silver Jubilee and King's Scouts were invited to a St. George‘s Day service at Windsor for the first time. The allowance for the district was four and the lst, 7th and 11th were represented with a Rover in charge.

In 1956, the 11th once again used St. Paul‘s Church Room as their headquarters and scouting continued very much as before up until the outbreak of the second World War in 1939.

At the beginning of 1937 the long serving Group Chairman, the Rev. P. Luker, Rector of Weeke, departed from Winchester and the whole group regretted the loss of such an interested and helpful person. An interesting entry in the minutes of the 11th Group Committee meeting of 27th May, 1938 is the approval of the purchase of two new tents, groundsheets, axes and billycans provide that the cost did not exceed £9. It is also noted that boxing was popular at this time in the Cub Pack and. the Group Committee approved the purchase of two pairs of boxing gloves for under £1.


The Acting Scoutmaster at this time. was Mr. L. Eckfelt but owing to his studies he was forced to resign in September, 1958 and consequently there had been some doubt as to whether the group would be able to continue. Fortunately, Mr. J.A. Rannie, A.D.C. for Scouts came forward and most generously offered to be responsible for the Scout training in Mr. Eckfelt's absence. At Mr. Rannie's request, the Group Chairman, Mr. C. Simpson, agreed to act as Group Scoutmaster, for the time being.

The number in the Troop at this time was about twelve and the size of the Pack was about the same. In August, 1938, five Scouts camped with the 9th and 11th Winchester Troops in Devon.

In September, 1939, there was no excitement and not much enthusiasm for uniform. The blackout and rationing of food, clothes and petrol began immediately, and yet for many months nothing happened at this end of Europe. At the Group Committee meeting held on 20th November, 1939, the Chairman welcomed the Rev. W. Bonsey, the Rev. H;C.N. Williams (the present Provost at Coventry Cathedral), and Mr. Roper, all of whom were new to the Committee, and expressed regret at the absence of the Rector, the Rev. ReH. Whitrow, and of the Treasurer, Mr. H. Cass who had both been called to War Service. In his report, the Scoutmaster, Mr. Rannie, stated that the Troop then consisted of 14 enrolled Scouts of whom 8 were already Second Class. During the year, valuable assistance had been received from Mr. B. Hamblin, who was now on Service, from Mr. Williams, who was now Chaplain to the Troop and later from Mr. Roper with First Class work and games, as well as from Patrol Leader Payne of the 1st Winchester Troop. A team entered for the Baker-Wilbraham Competition and gained sixth place out of nine. Two weekend camps had been held at the Campsite, and seven Scouts camped with the 9th and other Winchester Troops for a Week at Sandown in August. Four members of the Troop did useful work as messengers with HMS Kestrel, and with the local A.R.P. services. A house-to-house collection in the Parish had raised the sum of £6 for St. Dunstan's Home. Since the War began parades had been held jointly with the 10th Troop in the St. Paul's Church Room. The Scoutmaster regretted that the Cub Pack had been suspended and that no Cubs had come up to the Troop. Following on from this, the Cub Pack Was restarted sometime during 1940 by Mr. Blackwell. During 1941, there was a slight increase in numbers and considerable keenness on the part of all. Four First Class Badges and forty Proficiency Badges had been gained during the year. Very good positions were attained in the District Scouting Competition. Four weekend camps run by the Patrol Leaders we're held during the summer and eleven Scouts attended the District Scout Camp at Tog Down in August. At the Group Committee meeting held on 10th October, 1941, the Scoutmaster Mr. Rannie, reported that the Troops standard of proficiency had been maintained and that during the year a successful Parents Evening was held,- threo church parades were held at St. Paul's Church and the Troop was represented at the Memorial Service to the Founder and First Chief Scout at the Cathedral. Teams from the Troop entered for all the District Competitions held during the year, namely the Baker-Wilbraham Scouting Competition, the Chamber of Commerce Camping and Scouting Competition and the District Swimming Competition. Out of the six teams competing. The Troop was successful in winning the Chamber of Commerce Shield, gaining almost full marks for the Camping part of the Competition. Three camp‘s at Whitsun, a weekend in July and a week in August were held at the Pinsent Camping Ground on Teg Down. Despite the apparent well being of the 11th, scouting in Winchester gradually declined till in 1942 the District reached a minimum of 106 scouts and 55 cubs, the lowness of the latter- figure being partly explained by the feeling on some people‘s parts that it was undesirable to bring children together for fear of bombs. The 1st, 4th, 7th, 9th, 10th and 11th were the only Troops continuing to flourish for a year or so though Rovers and Cubs became fewer, the former because they were joining the forces, as were many scouters. The Scouts undertook a good deal of War Service, much of it rather hum-drum because Winchester escaped enemy attention for the most part. At the outset many of the older boys obtained their. parents written consent to their acting as messengers in emergencies for the Home Guard. Other projects were distributing posters and leaflets and collecting all kinds of things such as waste paper and empty jam-jars, also help with a carrier pigeon project and gathering firewood when coal was getting scarce. Scouts were also trained to become useful members of street fire parties for dealing with incendiary bombs. Of course, during the War, camping away from Winchester was out of the question and it was then that the Pinsent camp site really came into its own. At Whitsun and in August throughout the War, camps were held there on a district basis, and there were many smaller ones as well. Tents were pitched as far as possible under trees or camouflaged in some picturesque but less efficient way. The day after the 1940 camp ended the Battle of Britain began and there was fighting (mostly above the clouds) over Winchester. The 10th had left a tent pitched on their rather exposed site at Pinsent, and when they went to collect it a day or two later, there was a small bomb crater in the ploughed field not fifty yards away. In 1941 the District became hard pressed for Scouters, so it was decided to pool the resources of the district and to make-a temporary combined Troop to be called the 2nd Winchester, but without any idea of permanent amalgamation, indeed for competition purposes, as well as in uniform, the various sections remained separate. It was just an expedient for getting adequate instruction given by a limited number of instructors, the aim being not to let the general standard suffer in spite of war conditions. The Red Triangle Club was used as H.Q. to get a large enough place. The 2nd Winchester ran throughout. 1942, but just about the time that the fortunes of war changed at El Alamein in November, it became clear that some of the Troops were able to stand on their own foot again, and though the 10th and 11th continued together till the end of the war, the 2nd gradually dissolved into its component parts. In 1942, the 11th gained second place in both the Baker-Wilbraham Competition and the Chamber of Commerce Competition. At this time, the Cub Pack of the 11th was being run by Patrol Leader Bartlett on his own. An advert was placed in the WykaeReview, the Parish Magazine, for any gentleman or lady who was able to assist the pack as Cubmaster. The following year, 1943, the 11th and the 1st shared the Baker-Wilbraham Cup. Also the first local Gang Show was held which showed a profit of £28. Later in the same year, a second such show was held which showed a profit of £68 for the Red Cross. For the summer camp the 10th and 11th went to a county forestry camp at Holiday Hill, Lyndhurst. Fund raising for the Group was not easy during this period and the Scoutmaster suggested to the Troop Court of Honour that those Scouts who were working night be able to pay more than one penny per week subscription and this was duly passed. As stated previously, the 10th and 11th Troops were meeting together due to the lack of adequate scouters. In 1943, there were 15 scouts in the 11th and 17 in tho 10th. Each Troop consisted of two patrols and wore its own name badge and its own scarf. Meetings were held in the Red Triangle Club Hall on Wednesday evenings and in St. Paul's Church Room on Friday evenings. Help with instruction had been given by Mr. C. Collis, late A.S.M. of the 7th Winchester (Stanmore) Troop and by Mr. Gubb of St. Thomas' School. Towards the end of the year the Cub Pack had increased its members to 45 Cubs and owing to P.L. Bartlett's moving from Winchester was being run by Rover. R. Haydon, late (of the 9th Winchester (St. Cross) Rover Crew and Rover N.G. Smith of the lst Winchester (Peter Symonds) Rover Crew. A parents meeting was held in the Red Triangle Club on Wednesday, 15th December, which was well attended. In April, 1944, an emergency Committee meeting was called to discuss a new meeting place for the Cubs. Apparently, a member of the Cubs had been arriving early for Pack meetings and had spent a great deal of time playing on the steep back opposite the Church. St. Paul's Hill Was extremely busy at this time with U.S. Army lorries using it a great deal and the Rector warned the Cubs not to play there. However, his advice was not heeded and so he stoppcd the Cubs using the Church Room. This happened in March and since then the Pack had not at Mr. Rannie's Field at West Hayes. Later the Cubs met at St. Thomas' School. During the Summer, the 1st, 10th and 11th Troops joined together for the summer camp at Holiday Hill, Lyndhurst and Mr. Simpson, Scoutmaster of the 1st found himself in charge of about 80 scouts. There were also scouts from other districts present and the total number in Was over 200.

At the Group Committee meeting of 11th May, 1945, Mr, Rannie reported that only a few members of the 1lth Troop remained in the combined 10th/1lth Troop, one of whom, Ronald Stainer, had earned his Kings Scout Badge and made himself very useful, both in the Troop, and with the Cub Pack. As the joint working of the two Troops was purely a wartime measure, and as many of the Cubs would soon be of scout age, Mr. Rannie thought the time had come for the 1lth Troop to restart on its own. He hoped that it would be possible to find a younger man to run the Troop, and a suitable place for it in time to restart in September or October. He also mentioned that, although the 1lth Group Committee had financed the joint Troop, the large part of the subscription income had come from the 10th Troop members, most of whom now paid 2d per week and suggested that the sum of £2 from the Groups funds should be presented to the 10th. It was decided that the possibility of getting the disused National Fire Service hut on Weeke Hill should be explored and also that the sum of £2 should be paid to the 10th Troop, Cubmaster Hayden reported that the Cub Pack continued to be in a flourishing state, there being 37 Cubs in the Pack. As many of those Cubs belonged to St. Thomas Parish, a 10th Winchester Pack had just been restarted under Miss Butler Carter, Many of the Weeke Clubs would be joining the Troop in September, The Pack held a very successful bunfight and Parents Evening in January. A sum of £11 had been raised to run a Summer Camp by a successful all-Cub entertainment at the St. Johns Ambulance H.Q. in April. W.E. Day came and by the following August, camps were once more held on the South Coast. The next Group Committee meeting was on 28th September, 1915, and Mr. Rannie explained that the Ecclesiastical Commissioners had offered to buy the ex N.F.S. hut on Weeke Hill and let it to the llth at a rent of £25 per annum with an almost definite certainty of at least a three-year tenancy. In view of the fact that the hut was situated on a potential building site, that it could not be dismantled and re erected elsewhere without considerable damage, and that its breakup value was probably less than £50, the Committee decided that the rent of £25 was more than the Group should pay. It was decided that an effort should bo made to see whether the Ecclesiastical Commissioners would be willing to reconsider the rent and reduce it to, say, £12. 10s. Od. per annum as the Group would have to meet the cost of the rates, heating, lighting and general maintenance. The Group leased the building, thus becoming the first local Group to have their own H.Q. after the war, and it was decided that the Troop Shed at the back of St. Pauls Church Room should be brought to the hut and re erected, This was duly carried out. The accounts for the year 1914-46 showed a total income from subscriptions, camp charges and a Cub concert of £41. 19s. 7d and a total expenditure on Troop gear, Christmas and Victory Day Parties and Whitsun and Summer Camps of £41. 18s. ld. giving an excess of income of 1s. 6d. In May, 1946, Mr. Ron Heavens, who, among others, had returned from the forces, took over as SM. of the 11th and it was at this time that the Group Changed its lavender coloured scarves for the blue and gold scarves that we still Wear today. At the end of 1918, the Scoutmaster reported that, during the year 1947-48, the number of scouts in the Troop had increased from 15 to 24 and that a number of badges had been gained. Camps were held at Easter, Whitsun and in the summer and the Troop had entered teams for all the local Inter Troop Competitions. Cubmaster Smith stated that he only came back to the Pack after the end of the year under review, but he was able to say that when he took it over, it was a well disciplined Pack of more than 50 Cubs. He was now limiting the number of Cubs to 25. At about this time - it became necessary to completely re clad the hut either with felt, as originally, or asbestos. This work was put in hand and carried out by Messrs. Hooper and Ashby in the sum of £70. The lighting of the hut was by gas as also was the heating, but it was now decided that the lighting needed to be improved. It was agreed that this would be difficult to do with gas so the Southern Electricity Board were asked for a quotation to lay an electricity service cable to the hut. This estimate amounted to £15. 8s. 0d. Subsequently, this estimate was reduced by £5 when the Group agreed to dig the necessary trench themselves. This was duly completed during 1919. In January, 1919, the Pack held a concert at St. Maurice’s Hall making a profit of £18. 16s. 0d. for Group funds. As a result of this a Group Entertainments Sub-Committee was formed which did some very useful work during the next few years in organising concerts, etc. for Group funds. By May, 1919, the Cubmasters were N. G. Smith, R. G. Stainer and Miss Beryl Stainer and later that year Peter Cox and Norman Jeffrey, both of the 11th, were the first scouts to gain the Kings Scout Badge under the new regulations which superseded the old, easier rules in force up till 1918. As a kind of supplement to their training, Norman Smith and Alan Rannie took a party of Senior Scouts, some from the 11th, on a Mystery Hike to the Brecon Beacons that August. A Senior Patrol had just been started with the 11th. The Troops summer camp was held at Upton Fort, near Weymouth. The sum of £4 was raised for the Lord Mayors Appeal during Bob-a-Jobweek, and two scouts had themselves earn cd £2. 15s. 0d. for Troop Funds. The Troop also came third in the Aldous (lifesaving) Cup during the year. The Cub Pack was divided into two during 1949, Mr. Smith taking the first Pack and Mr. Stainer the second. Despite this, there was still a waiting list for entry into the Packs. Frequent outings had be on held on Saturday afternoons and there had been a weekend camp for Sixers and their Seconds on Teg Down. In August, eleven Cubs from the Pack with four from the 7th Pack camped near Weymouth immediately after the Scout Camp, and, in spite of bad weather, it was an excellent and successful camp. In the Cub Sports in September, the Pack entered for every event. The collection of jamjars by the Cubs brought in £6 which was given as a Christmas treat to deserving poor people in the Town. The Entertainments Sub-Committee set out to raise £500 in four years by means of jumble sales, concerts, dances and other efforts. Monthly dances were arranged. In April, 1950, the Troop was taken over by Mr. R. A. Woodhouse as Scoutmaster and at the St. Georges Day Parade in London, John Vince, a member of the Senior Scout Troop was invested with the Kings Scout Badge by the Chief Scout. A party of 14 Senior Scouts from the 1st, 7th and 11th, camped at Ober Ammergau in August, 1950, when they attended the Passion Play there. They were taken by A.S.M. Lapago of the 7th (the only College Don who has ever acted as a Troop Scouter). In November of the same year, the Group gained a G.S.M. in the person of Mr. G. Lidgate. The Group had been without a G.S.M. for some time. Just before this, in September, Mr. P. Bond became Senior Scoutmaster and by the end of the year there were fifteen Senior Scouts. At Christmas time the members of the Pack collected a very large quantity of wood, which they distributed to the inmates of the David Murray Homes. Also that year the Cubs won the Annual Swimming Competition.

At the Group Committee meeting held in January, 1951, A. S. M. Jones gave a detailed account of thc condition of the hut and estimated that to put it into a reasonable state of repair, about £110 would be needed. Of this sum, hardboard for the side walls and asbestos for the ends would cost about £30 and deal board for the floor about £50. The asbestos roof covering was proving too heavy for the roof trusses which he considered might collapse if left for eighteen months or so without strengthening. He thought that the provision of a new hut should definitely be considered. A. S. M. Jones was authorised to carry out the immediately essential repairs to the Walls. When the question of finding a site for a new hut was discussed, Mr. Beecroft gave a list of possible sites which had been considered. The first, and most central, was that on the opposite side of Stockbridge Road then used for allotments. Others included the field on the south Side of Chilbolton Avenue, opposite the end of Links Road, a plot at the junction of Bereweeke Road and Stockbridge Road, a triangular piece of land at the top of Greenhill Road, and one, which was particularly attractive for Scouting, but was of little use for house building, in Romsey Road opposite the end of Chilbolton Avenue. Of those the one in Stockbridge Road opposite the then present hut was considered to be the most desirable and suitable. It was considered that the cost of this land, which belonged to Winchester College, would probably be reasonable as it was unlikely that any development charges would be payable on it. Mr. Beecroft had discussed possible typos of building with a Mr. S. R. Evans and thought that a ‘log cabin’ type would be the most suitable. Oak slabs for this could be obtained and such a hut would probably be more readily passed by the Town Planning Authority, although permission to retain it would need to be sought every five years. A. S. M. Jones thought that the irregular shapes of oak slabs Would involve difficulties and he favoured a sectional steel framed hut With asbestos outside and Wood inside. A rough estimate of the total cost of acquiring the site and building a hut was £1,000 and it was agreed that the Committee should begin raising money for thc project at once. A Sub-Committee consisting of Messrs. Beecroft, Lidgate and Jones, together with the Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer, was appointed to deal with the question of the site and now hut. At the Group Committee meeting in June, 1951, it was stated that the Groups finances stood at £70 in credit and it was mentioned that a contribution had been made to the fund to help dependants of the men lost in H.M.S. Affray. Little more income was expected before the autumn. Three members of the Troop attended the Jamboree held in Austria that year and a party of Seniors (chiefly from the 11th) went to a climbers camp in Snowdonia, where they did a lot of mountaineering. The Troop camp was held jointly with the 33rd Bournemouth and the 3rd Sandown Troops in August at Yarmouth, Isle of Wight. The cost of the camp was £2. per scout for a week. Because they were saving for a new headquarters, the Group Committee decided that for the first time they would not subsidise the boys from Group funds. The Troop won the Baker-Wilbraham Cup again. Mr. R.A. Woodhouse, the Scoutmaster, was leaving Winchester that summer and Mr. Springer took over as S.M. for a short time. Later on, Mr. F.R. Jones became the S.M. Towards the end of the year, cracks had appeared in several of the roof trusses, which seemed to be due to the weight of the asbestos roof and in the opinion of the Committee there was a danger of part of the roof collapsing. For this reason, the 'B' Cub Pack had not met for three weeks in St. Paul's Church' Room, but this was only available on certain nights. It was suggested that enquiries should be made to find out if the ‘A’ and 'B' Packs could both meet at the Winchester Brewery. S.M. Jones suggested that, as a temporary measure, three tension wires stretched across the hut at suitable places would make the hut safe and would not cost more than £5. This was carried out and both Cub Packs could resume their meetings. Another money raising scheme popular at this time was Whist Drives and these were held quite frequently. As part of their contribution to fundraising the scouts collected waste paper and this scheme continued for several years. The new Cubmasters by this time Mr. Hodgson, a King Alfred College student, and Miss Beryl Staincer. The Group was blessed with a great deal of help from such students for many years to come. In the beginning of 1952, Cubmaster Hodgson left the district and the new C.M.s were Mike Green and Miss Beryl Stainer. The Mr. Lidgate, also resigned about then on his departure from Winchester and Mr. Ronnie, lately District Commissioner and an ex-scouter with the 11th, took over his duties until a successor could be found. Tho Senior Scoutmaster by now was John Rowsell. In the middle of 1952, Mr. Beecroft contacted the G.P.O. concerning disused telegraph poles which might be suitable for building material and got in touch with an architect who had, experience in the erection of log cabins. The Group's finances had jumped by about £100 in six months due to the efforts of the Entertainments Sub-Committee, and had brought in £62. 9s. 5d. Mr. Rannie Was forced to resign as G.S.M. and the then D.C., Major Woodfield, assumed the responsibilities for ‘a while. However, towards the end of the year, Mr R.B. East took over. The plot of land on the other side of Stockbridge Road was purchased and it was decided to go ahead with the building of a Canadian-type log cabin. The Foundation Log was laid on 9th July, 1955, by Councillor Doris M. Edmeades, the Deputy Mayor. Before leaving 1952, it is worth recording that for the first time the district had an entrant in the newly-created 'Soap-Box Derby’. This was produced by the 11th under the inventive mind of Roy Jones, the S.M. Soon after the Foundation Log of the log cabin was laid, the designer, Mr. Michael Garrett, left the district and John G. Sims now A.S.M. with the Troop took over as project architect. 1955 was the Coronation year of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II and for the celebration, amongst other things, was a chain of beacons around the country. For this, the district had a beacon near the Pinsent camp site. D.S.M. F.A. Green, S.M. Rowswell, A.S.M.s J. Sims and N. Jeffrey of the 11th did, after some considerable research into the particular art, organise and produce a very successful Ox-roasting (in not the best of weather). All the scouting they knew and additional advice from their helpers produced meat for human consumption between bread rolls supplied by Mrs. L. Le Riche and her helpers, which was given to a seemingly hungry populace at the foot of the Guildhall steps around nine O'clock of the evening so that only a number of bones and a few bits of flesh which got too near the fire remained. The fire burned successfully from very early a.m. to late p.m. and this event is recorded in the archives of the City. I would add that the smell was detectable over most of the City from about 10.00 a.m. onwards. At Whitsun, in 1954, a troop camp was held at Avington Park, and it rained nearly all of the time. Later in the same year, Roy Jones (or Jonah as we called him) organised a wide game for the district. This took place at Shoddon Oak Copse near Farley Mount and it was a 24 hour affair with the scouts against the Scouters. Us Scouts thought it great fun to creep up on the Scouters encampment during the early hours and pelt them with flour bombs. A pity we don't do anything on this scale those days but there doesn't seem to be enough open common land left. Early in 1955, Winchester produced its third Gang Show and rehearsals took place in Group (each Troop did one or two items), and the dress rehearsal and Show being held at King Alfred's College. At about this time the Troop changed over to wearing berets instead of the ‘big hats’ and also Roy Jones laid a wooden floor over the rough concrete floor of the H.Q. This saved many out knees during rough games. The Whitsun Camp was a district function and was held at Mordon Castle, Hursley. The 11th intended to enter the 'Soap Box Derby‘ again in 1956. A start was made on the car but, due to its complexity, the job took longer than expected and we were too late for the Derby. Summer Camp was held at Wootton, on the Isle of Wight. During all this time the Group Committee were busy events and the Log Cabin was making slow but steady progress, with Committee members, scouts, scouters, parents and friends putting in an hour or two on Sunday mornings and occasionally during the week. On the September, 1956, the Scout Swimming Sports were held at West Downs School bath. The 11th had their best year by winning most of the events and carrying off the Rannie Aggregate Cup as well. The two Cub Packs were amalgamated under Fred Rose on the resignation of the previous Scouters. Meetings went on throughout 1956 on the difficult matter of '1957' , the Golden Jubilee of Scouting. 1957 arrived and among the events worthy of mention as making a very full and successful year of it were: A Memorial Service for B.P. at Bentley - B.P.'s old home. Thanksgiving Service fit the‘ Guildhall Scout Week - Exhibition and Demonstrations set up in the Guildhall. One of the 11th's demonstrations was axemanship and first aid: a scout demonstrated how not to use an axe and ended up by apparently nearly cutting his leg off. A first aid team arrived and showed how‘ the patient should be treated. Group 'At Homes' District Fete on Whit Monday Scout Badge in Flowers outside St. Thomas' Church Publicity Boards - mostly made by A.S.M. John Sims of the 11th Jamboree, Indaba and Moot (J.I.M.) at Sutton Coldfield — four persons from the 11th attended this. Distribution of firewood to old people. This was so welcome that the 11th continued the habit for some years by distributing every Christmas. The 11th won the Rannie Presentation Trophy for the first time during this year. There was no summer camp because Roy Jones was leaving the district and Norman Jeffrey, who was taking over, went to the jamboree. Before leaving 1957, I will just record that, on Good Friday, Norman led a hike of about twelve miles and this practice of having Good Friday hikes continued until he left the Troop. We used to leave directly after Church in the morning and arrive home during the early evening. During 1957 the number of scouts in tho Troop rose dramatically from eighteen to thirty one and there were also seven Seniors. As for the Cubs, they continued to take part in the sports, swimming and fastball competitions although from about 1950 onwards, camps, etc., were infrequent mainly due to the lack of scouters with enough time. During 1957 Cubs new colour as dedicated and as their good turn they undertook firewood distribution and also played their part in the national anti-litter campaign. By 1958, most Troops, the 11th included, were, for some reason, running short of Senior Scouts. Because of this, A.S.M. John Wavell of the 7th, started a District Senior Scout Troop which met at a small hut on Hilliers Nursery in Sarum Road. As a Senior Scout Troop we wore sky blue scarves with a black border, but of course we wore our own Troop scarves on our own Troop occasions. The 11th won the Rannie Presentation Trophy again this year. Summer Camp 1958 was held in Guernsey and the Channel crossing was so rough that only a few of us managed to keep our stomachs intact. The camp was run by S.M. Norman Jeffrey with A.S.M. Brian Phillips and some Seniors to help him. We still have a log of this camp. During 1958, much prefabrication work for the Log Cabin was going on in the old H.Q., e.g. the construction of the roof beams and other beams and other joining work. It was therefore impossible to hold Troop and Pack meetings there so St. Paul‘s Church Room was used once again during the winter months, although during the summer, as we did the previous year, Troop meetings were held at Pinsent Camp site. It was about this time that the owners of the land on which our old H.Q. stood, Ayling and Moores Garage (now the Fulflood Service Station (ed note: now houses above the Roebuck Inn) said that they wanted to use the land. We cleared the place out (most of the portable property being taken to various peoples‘ homes because the Log Cabin was not yet ready and then one Sunday morning we had a whale of a time pulling the old place down. 1959 came and went (during which the 11th won the Chamber of Commerce Shield for the fifth time and summer camp was at Kingsdown, Deal, Kent), and so to 1960. The 11th won the Baker-Wilbraham Cup for the fourth time and the highlight of the year was the Summer Camp. This was a walking out of Bavaria and the Austrian Tyrol, the expedition being led by Norman Jeffrey assisted by Brian Phillips. Whilst in Austria, we visited Erl to see the Passion Play. Somewhere on this trip we met up with a German Scout by the name of Dieter who was very useful as an interpreter. He stayed with us for several days. Although the weather was not particularly good, everyone thoroughly enjoyed the experience. There is also a log of this trip in our possession; A.S.M. Dave Goodall also ran a camp at Youlburg, Oxfordshire, for the younger scouts. In May a Group Supporters Association was formed which started off well but soon petered out after a few months. In June, the Group held probably its most profitable Summer Fair when over £200 was raised. The Fair Was opened by the Brooks Brothers, who, older folk will remember, were well-known pop singers at that time.

1961 saw the Log Cabin nearing completion, thanks to the hard work in actual building and fund raising by many people. The roof was already on and the internal work was in progress.


In May we won the Baker-Wilbraham Cup for the fifth time and later we won the Chamber of Commerce Shield for the sixth time. Whitsun Camp was held at Pinsent as it had for the previous two or three years and the Troop Summer Camp was at Walton Firs I.H.Q. campsite, the comp being run by A.S.M. Dave Goodall in the absence of Norman Jeffrey.


At the end of the Jamboree, the New Zealand contingent came home westward, thus making a world tour of the occasion, and the 11th had the honour of being asked for the use of the Log Cabin by the Winchester District Scout Association to entertain them during their visit to England. The Maori Shield and Jamboree pennant over the fireplace of the Log Cabin were given to us on that occasion to look after on behalf of the District.


Also at this time the 11th Cubs won the Proficiency Shield for the first time and the scouts again won the swimming sports.


The German Scout previously mentioned brought two companions with him to Winchester and they stayed in the homes of three 11th Scouts for a week or so, then I, being a Rover Scout by this time, took thom and three Senior Scouts to the Lake District and Scotland for a fortnight.

At long last the Log Cabin was ready for the opening ceremony which was duly performed on Saturday, 7th October, eight and a quarter years after the Foundation Log was laid. The G.S.M., Lon Mack, opened the proceedings by introducing the dignitaries to the guests who packed the hall, and after two or thhree speeches the Log Cabin was formally declared open by the County Comisioner, Air Vice Marshall C.N.H. Bilney, C.B., C.B.E.

??During the winters of 1961/62 and 1962/63, we didn't have central heating, so before every Troop meeting one or two of us arrived early to saw logs, left over from the building, to build a huge fire in an effort to warm the place to a bearable temperature. I can remember some Troop meetings when icicles dripped down from the asbestos ceiling. However, we got some scout work done and in 1962 we won the Baker-Wilbraham Cup for the third consecutive year and for the sixth time altogether.


During 1965, Donald Blatchford, a member of the Group, gained the Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award, the first Scout in Winchester to do so.


Summer Camp 1962 was held at Holiday Hill, Lyndhurst, in August, under the leadership of Norman Jeffrey.


During those last few years the Winchester and District Rover Crew had been revived and met mainly at the Log Cabin, most of the members were from the 11th, under Norman Cuttle.


It is also worth recording that the Scouts Christmas Parties the past three four years were held with the Guides.


Towards the end of the your, the G.S.M., after much hard work through a difficult period, handed over to Norman. Dave Goodall took over as S.M. On November 5th we had a Group bonfire and barbecue, an event which took place for the next four years.


In July, 1965, the twelfth World jamboree was held at Marathon in Greece

to which Donald Blatchford and Tony Dimmer, both of the 11th, went. In 1965 there were enough Senior Scouts to form two patrols and Dave Saunders was the Senior Scout Master. They came second out of nineteen teams in the County Competition for Seniors and in the summer they camped at Windermere. During the year the Cubs won the Athletic Sports while the scouts won the Swimming trophy yet again. The Pack holiday was held at Southbourne together with the 10th Pack. The Pack also attended Cub Day at Gilwell, something they have done every year since. During the year came the premature death of Noel Petty, the Cubmaster, and under the circumstances, his wife, Mary, resigned. This was a tragic loss to the Group, especially the Pack, and Mrs. L. Le Riche, the District Cubmaster, ran the Pack as a temporary measure. Very shortly, Mrs. Jean Le Rich took over.


Summer Camp was held at Wenbury, near Plymouth, Devon. Dave took all the kit down by hired lorry, while I took the boys down by train. A good time was had by all, and the lorry as ancient as it was, proved useful for excursions around Dartmoor, etc. It was at this camp that we met Colin Perry, the D.C. for Plymstock, Plymouth, and the seed for our camp was sown. But more about that later.


Sometime during the autumn of 1965, Western School decided that they needed to have more classrooms and the Headmaster approached the 11th with a view to using the Log Cabin. The Group committee agreed to this as an added source of income, but of course central heating was necessary for winter use. With the aid of generous grants central heating was installed and the ceiling was insulated. The school moved in during January, 1964.


The Pack holiday was held at Christchurch again with the 10th Pack.


At the end of 1965, Norman Jeffrey left the district so had to give up his job of G.S.M. For a short while we were without one, but then the post was filled by Pierre Du Bock.


There was an Easter camp in 1964 at Littleton, the camp being run by Dave Goodall; then at whitsun I ran a camp at Pinsent. The: 11th won the Rannie Presentation Trophy for the third time.


In August, a party of 11th Scouts joined a party of Plymstock Scouts for a tour of the Continent. Two dormobiles were hired from a firm in Newton Ferrers in Devon and Dave and myself went down to collect them and brought the Plymstock scouts back with us together with their leader, Colin Perry. When we arrived back at the Log Cabin, the 11th Scouts were already there. We all sat down to a meal which two or three mothers had prepared and then left for Southampton to catch the night ferry to Le Havre. Our route took us through Northern France, Luxembourg, along the Mosel and Rhine valleys of West Germany, then up to Rotterdam where we stayed for about five days at a Dutch scout camp site. A Dutch scouter, a friend of Colin, arranged visits to shipyards, marine workshops and a trip round the port which lasted for two or three hours. From Rotterdam, We headed south again to Le Havre via Belgium and so back home.


Scouting continued on much the same momentum as before and we can pass quickly to 1966 only pausing to record the following. The 1965 Whitsun Camp was held again at Littleton, and the Summer Camp was held in Jersey. We flew over and. had a fortnight in glorious weather. Every morning we went out and picked trays full of mushrooms from our field and in the end we got rather tired of them. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we decided to go again the following year.


The Cubs attended the occasion of the Chief Scouts Visit at Aldershot and in October the Group Council organised a dance at the Weeke Hotel, an event which has taken place annually since.


In 1966 we again won the Bakers-Wilbraham Trophy and during the same year, Pierre du Bock left the district and so had to relinquish his post of G.S.L. The job was taken over by Dave Goodall, the S.M., and so I took over the Troop. At about this time, Dave Goodall when looking for a site of our own for weekend camps, approached Mr. A. Craig-Harvey of Lainston to this end. Not only did Mr. Craig-Harvey offer to allow us to use Northwood Park, but also allowed us the use of an old dilapidated building for winter use. This building, used for storage, also had trees and brambles actually growing inside and spreading out through where the windows were. However, we set to work and gradually the place became habitable.


During 1967, the Cub Pack under C.M. Adrian Mack, was very active in competitions and there were outings, hikes and camps at regular intervals for them.


1967 will go down in Scouting history as the year of the great change. This was the year that saw the Publication of the Chief Scouts Advance Party Report which brought in a new look scouting. The most notable changes being the new uniform, which brought in long trousers for scouts for the first time, and reforms in the Training Scheme. I was greatly assisted in the transition by Bill Brown, who, at the time of writing, is A.D.C. Activities.

The Troop again won the Baker-Wilbraham Trophy this year.


All through the year work was spasmodically going on in renovating our building at Northwood and scouts spent a few weekends there during the year.


At Easter, in 1968, Bill Brown, John Weeks, John Ingleson and myself took nine elder scouts from the district, including the five Patrol Leaders of the 11th, to the Lake District for climbing training. We camped at Great Towers campsite overlooking Lake Windermere and the boys were able to climb Helvellyn and to traverse Striding Edge, Pike of Stickle, Langdale Pikes, Orrost Head and others. Dr. Shackleton also took some of the boys on a three day expedition which included an ascent of Bowfell. Throughout the week the weather was glorious and snow was still laying on the high ground. We were lucky because the day we left the rain had begun and we learnt that it set in for two or three weeks after.


During May there was a Patrol Leaders training course at Tile Barn, Brockenhurst and in the same month the 11th won the Baker-Wilbraham Trophy the third year running.


In June we achieved a unique 'double' . Our Wolf Patrol, under P.L. Stephen Gale, won the Chamber of Commerce camping competition trophy and Panther Patrol, under P.L. Paul Greisen, came second and so carried off the Weller Trophy. This was the first time that any Troop had carried off both trophies in this competition.


In July, the first issue of our Troop Magazine, under the Editorship of Peter Clavey (P.L.), was published.


All the while work was going on at Northwood and on Saturday, 12th October Mr. A. Craig-Harvey officially opened it as the Clayesmore Training and Activities Centre. The ceremony was attended by scouts and their parents and the D.C., Mr. Keighley, present Clive Penifold with his Chief Scout's Award, only the second member of the Troop to gain it, the first being Ian Hale earlier in the year.


Also during the year, two or three members of the Troop attended a Gliding Course at Lasham.


1969 was also quite a successful year. We won the Chamber of Commerce Competition again and also received the Rannie Trophy and the District Colours. At Easter the Troop was represented on the 19th Broads Expedition, organised by Mr. Keighley, for scouts from Shropshire (his previous county), and Winchester.


There was again a gliding course at Lasham at which we were also represented. Climbing at Swanage was a Troop activity. Summer Camp was again held in Jersey in excellent weather.


At the end of 1969 it was decided to form a Venture unit within the Group, under Dave Goodall, their meeting place being Clayesmore.


1970 was, similarly, another successful year. There were camps at Clayesmore at Easter and Whitsun, and also over the Easter week there was another expedition to the Lake District for the older scouts in the district, as well as the 20th Norfolk Broads Expedition both of which were attended by members of the Troop. Both the Cubs and the Scouts received new colours at this time.


In May we again won the Baker-Wilbraham Trophy and in June Tiger Patrol carried off the Chamber of Commerce Competition Trophy - the third year in succession for the Troop.


the Cub Scouts swimming sports were held during September and the Tuesday pack achieved second place and also, at this time, the Patrol leaders attended the National Patrol Leaders Conference at Gilwell Park. Towards the end of September a glance at the numbers and ages of the boys waiting for admission to our two existing Cub Packs soon revealed that unless immediate action was taken many of the boys would be denied the oppurtunity of ever becoming Cub Scouts with the 11th Winchester, or if they were able to join it would be for a very limited period only. Consequently a decision was taken to start a third pack within the group. the first two weeks of October were spent sifting through the waiting lists, visiting potential Cub Scouts and meeting their parents, writing numerous letters, making a couple of trips to Southampton Scout Shop to stock up with essential equipment and uniforms, holding two Sixers Councils, and planning the first few Pack meetings. Four Cubs were found in the Monday and Tuesday Packs who were prepared to transfer to become Sixers in the new Friday Pack.


By 20th October arrangements had been finalised for the new Pack to meet as planned for the first time on Friday, 30th October.


Before the end of the year the Group had two more successes. The Tuesday Cub Pack after five  weeks hard work in getting through preliminary rounds, won the Winchester Cub Scout Safety Quiz, and also in December the Scouts did exceptionally well in the District Swimming Sports winning six of the ten events and coming second in three. The Troop won easily, earning more than double the points gained by the second place Troop.


1971 came and continued in much the same vein as the previous year. Easter Camp was held at Claymoore and the following week the Cub Scouts and Scouts earned about £l25 between them during Scout Job week.


Also in April the Troop won thc Operation Antler Competition and in May it gained second place in the Baker-Wilbraham Competition. The Friday Cub Pack won both the Cub Scout Proficiency Shield and the Athletic Sports and in June, Tiger Patrol won tho Chamber of Commerce Camping Competition for the fourth successive year while a composite patrol won thc Weller Trophy. At the A.G.M. in April, the Group Supporters Association was formed.


All this time the Venture Scout Unit had been planning their expedition to Europe. Money was raised, with the help of Group Council , members and parents by running jumble sales, a bonfire fete, a cheese and wine party and an Easter Fayre.


July saw the occasion of tho Chief Scouts Visit to Hampshire. Winchester Scouts camped at Broadlands, Romsey, together with Scouts from Romsey and Southampton, for the weekend 9th - 11th in glorious weather. The Chief Scout arrived by helicopter on the Sunday to a terrífic welcome by well over a thousand scouts, and during his stay he shook hands with every single scout there. The Venture Scouts went to Portsmouth, together with the other Venture Scouts of Hampshire, to meet him.


Over the same weekend, the Emlyn Woodcraft Competition was held. Our Tiger Patrol, because they won the Chamber of Commerce Competition, represented Winchester and they achieved fourth place - a very good result.


During the previous two or three months arrangements had been going on for the troops Summer Camp to be held in Guernsey in August. In September the Friday Cubs won the ??? Trophy while the Scouts reached the semifinals of the six-a-side football tournament.


At the time of going to press, the Group consisted of three full Cub Scout Packs with a long waiting list and a large Scout Troop with six large patrols and ten Cubs coming up at the end of the year.

1926 J. BARTER.

1937 D. SIMONS




1946 N. SMITH

1949 R. STAINER started 2nd. Pack

1950 BERYL STAINER took over 1st. Pack from N.SMITH

1951 J. M. HODGESON took over 2nd. Pack from R, STAINER

1952 M. GREEN took over 2nd Pack from J. HODGESON

1956 F. ROSE - Packs temporarily amalgamated

1957 Miss BROOKS

1958 Mr. HUGHES

1959 D. J. S. GOODALL

1959 A. ROUSE


1960 Packs Suspended

1961 Mary Davey

1963 Mary PETTY (nee Davey) & N. PETTY


1967 A. R. MACK started 2nd Pack

1969 Beryl HILLIER took over 2nd Pack from A. R. MACK

1969 P. CANNING took over 1st Pack from Jean LE RICHE

1969 JANE ALEXANDER took over 1st Pack from P. CANNING

1970 R. PORTER started 3rd Pack

1971 MARGARET WINKWORTH took over 1st Pack

CHAMBER OF COMMERCE CAMPING TROPHY, INAUGURATED 1922 WON IN 1928,29,31,41,59,61,68, 69,70,71, 10 WINS UP TO 1971 Previous Record – 9 wins by the 1st (Peter Symonds)Troop. (disbanded 1954) Nearest Rival - 12th Win. 5 wins. WELLER TROPHY (Runner up in above competition), INAUGURATED 1959) WON IN 1962, 68,71. 3 WINS UP TO 1971 Nearest Rival – Compton & Shawford, 2 wins. BAKER – WILBRAHAM TROPHY, INAUGURATED 1922 WON IN 1926,43, 51,60,61,62, 66,67,68,70. 10 WINS UP TO 1971 Previous Record – 7 wins by 10th Win. (disbanded 1969) Nearest Rivals – 6th 7th Win. 6 wins each. RANNIE PRESENTATION TROPHY, INAUGURATED 1952 WON IN 1958,59,65,67, 4 WINS UP TO 1971. Nearest Rival – Worthies (3rd Win.) 3 Wins. OPERATION ANTLER AWARD. (INAUGURATED 1970 WON IN 1971. Nearest Rival – 1st (Weeke & Littleton) Troop. 1 win. SCOUT SWIMMING AGGREGATE CUP, INAUGURATED 1941 WON IN 1952,53,56,57,60,62,63, 64,70. 9 WINS UP TO 1970. CUB SCOUTS PROFICIENCY TROPHY, INAUGURATED 1924 WON IN 1962, 66,71. Records of winners from 1929 to 1950 are not available. CUB SCOUTS ATHLETICS TROPHY. INAUGURATED 1954 WON IN 1965, 68,71. 3 WINS UP TO 1971. Nearest Rival – Worthies (3rd Win.). 5 wins. CUB SCOUTS SWIMMING AGGREGATE CUP, AWARDED SINCE 1966 WON IN 1971, Nearest Rival - Compton & Shawford, 2 wins. DISTRICT COLOUR AWARDED, INAUGURATED FOR PRESENT AWARD IN 1947 AWARDED IN 1960, 61,62, 67, 69,70. 6 WINS FROM 1960 TO 1971, Records before 1960 are incomplete.

THE PATHFINDER, the picture over the fireplace, was given in memory of Mrs. Jeffrey, the mother of Norman Jeffrey, who did much work for the Group behind the scenes. The Maori Shield and jamboree pennant over the fireplace were presented to the District in 1963 by the New Zealand contingent at the Greece Jamboree who came here on their way home, The District Commissioner at that time asked the 11th to look after them for the District. The original Troop Colour, in use until the early fifties, is hung in the Scouters Room. A Certificate over the fireplace certifies that the 11th are Founder Members of Baden Powell House. A memorial to Mr. Jeffrey is a cup which is used for Inter Troop Road Safety rallies and quizzes. The Cubs Totem Pole, not used these days, is preserved. Buried in the foundations of the fireplace, which was built to last for ever by Pete Martin and myself in 1960, are a halfpenny bearing that date and other assorted oddments. A plaque over the fireplace was presented to us by a group of Pioneer Scouts de France who stayed at the Cabin in 1968.

The Log Cabin HQ makes Scouts‚ dream come true Echo Staff Reporter SCOUT groups throughout the country may well envy the 11th Winchester (Hyde and Weeke) Group their new headquarters. There is only one other like it - a real log cabin. A cross between a Swiss chalet and a Canadian lumber jack's shack. When the cabin was given its official opening on Saturday by the County Scout Commissioner (Air Vice-Marshal C. N. H. Bilney. QB, QBE), the group saw the realisation of a plan that originated in 1950. Then, faced by the prospect of being without a place to meet, the group had the alternative of building a hut of conventional type, or something different. The first weighed half a ton They chose to be different, and selected a design by Mr. Michael Garrett, a former Scout for the log cabin. Donations of 2s. 6d. a time were invited to buy telegraph poles. A site in Stockbridge Road was bought and the foundation log - a specially big one weighing half-a-ton was laid in 1953 by the Mayor of that time, Alderman Miss Doris Edmeades. Since then, funds in small sums have been coming in slowly. Up to a year ago, the work of rigging the poles into position, and doing the hundred and one labouring jobs, had been done by the Scouts, their parents and friends. Today there is a commodious headquarters measuring 71ft. by 32ft. substantially roofed, well-lit and heated, and with ante rooms. Cost - about £2,150. Mr. F. L. Ward (hon. secretary) explained to me that about £1,350 had been raised by voluntary means; Imperial Scout headquarters had given £37 10s. and had promised another similar sum; Winchester Boy Scouts' Association had given £100; Hampshire County Council had promised £208. The balance is the problem for the immediate future, but the lads of the group are determined that by their own efforts and those of their friends and deficit will soon be cleared. Some work done by craftsmen In recent, months, skilled craftsmen have been engaged to install drainage and other services. The Mayor of Winchester (Councillor Mrs. Dilys Neate) who was welcomed to the opening ceremony by Mr. C. Simpson and the Group Scoutmaster (Mr. L. W. Mack) explained that she had called on Alderman Miss Edmeades, who was recovering from illness and was unable to be present, to tell her about the progress of the scheme she had helped to inaugurate. Mr. Simpson gave a brief history of the group since its foundation in 1922 and the Group Scoutmaster outlined the communal efforts that had gone into the realisation of the log cabin scheme.


Website Cookies

Cookies help us and third parties to improve our services to you and give you the best experience on this website. By clicking "Accept All" you agree to all of our cookies. You can choose the cookies you'd like to accept by clicking "Manage Settings". See our Cookie Policy for full details.